Sunday, June 19, 2005

Tagged again

Oh no! Kakul has tagged me for Five Most Beautiful Movies and since I have finished my story for the day, I'm going to get on this. And since she's left it vague - I think I'm going for a mix of good movie with beautiful visuals

The first one's easy Howard's End. I remember i watched it with Bro and Joey in Cal, in the Brit Council, I think. Moody, British, Helena Bonham-Carter and then there's this short scene where a man walks through a field of violet flowers in the night, reciting poetry - burned in my mind forever. I think there was a special synergy between James Ivory-Ismail Merchant and EM Forster - they did wonderful things to A Room With a View too.

Pyaasa Guru Dutt was a total guru with B&W. But with Pyaasa he just got everything right - story, music, acting, cinematography, everything right. And the scene where Guru Dutt flings open the theatre doors to stand backlit and sing Ye mahalon, ye takhton, ye taajon ki duniya...
(If this were just a song I would pick Waqt Ne Kiya from Kaagaz Ke Phool. I blv he convinced the studio to break down the wall and make a window to let in that beam of light.)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Till date I'm not sure about the story - there's too much that's iffy, but my God! what a visual feast. And what use of music. The entire bit in the desert, the fight between the two women, everything - it's almost an OD of all things beautiful.

Mughal-e-Azam I recently saw it in colour and it sharply brought home just how beautiful the B&W version was. Story of course, but what dialogue, cinematography, scale, music. And Madhubala - totally, unbelievably beautiful (made more so by B&W). And one bit with Salim and Anarkali, lying on his terrace, her hair open for the first time... one of those few frames that actually do speak a thousand words.

The Last Samurai This last one took a lot of thinking, mostly beacause none of the usual-popular movies fit the beautiful bill (and I don't usually watch the other kind). But this Tom Cruise movie(!) actually does. As the only movie in which he deviates from a type, with epic battles, complemented beautifully with those household scenes, relationships...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...few things can match the rush i get each time i hear/see that song... jala do jala do jala do yeh duniya, yeh duniya agar mil bhi jaye to kya hai. Song list, what a wicked thought, but too many lists happening for now. Oh I suppose I better get my own list up soonish.

3:15 pm  
Blogger Sabiha said...

It's only after coming here and a recent walk in the woods this May that I realised that the Howards End walk in the woods was through a field of bluebells. There's something about the wildflowers here--they grow in such profusion and they seem to be themed around colours. Starting with fields of golden Daffodils in March, then Buttercups in April, Bluebells in April-May, white Daisies in May-June, and now the countryside is awash in a blaze of pink flowers. Very, very beautiful and dramatic!

2:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh are they bluebells then! i lived in warmington, little village near peterborough, for 2 months... june and july one year, and for a month there were these lovely blue flowers all around and we couldn't figure out what they were. thanks S

5:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i am not anonymous, i am K

5:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you have taken the mother for these long flowered walks. She will enjoy much (and get exercise) Is she taking her shelcal btw?
Nish
Also I hope that you have taken a nice night walk through the bluebells

5:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home