Saturday, December 10, 2005

Exams and deadlines

It is the anniversary issue - one of those massive efforts you spend half the year winding down from (thank god it's over!) and the rest building up to (oh no, it's back!). One of those things you know requires a lot of work, pressure - all of which brings out only one response in me - to run as far from it as possible.

When it was time to study for exams I would be gripped by an irresistible urge to read books - I would take them to the bathroom, I would hide and read them, I would tell myself I would start studying at 4.45; at 4.45 I would be in the middle of a chapter and say 'definitely at the end of the chapter'. That would be 4.53, and I would think 'that's a vague time to start - I'll start at 5'. And so it would go till either my parents or sister arrived I was so wracked by guilt I would finally study a chapter after which I had to reward myself for all the hard work and the entire scenario would play itself out again.

So last night I stayed up till 4am reading a Mary Stewart (definitely not one of her better ones) and today I am gripped by the notion that I should have a life and that I should go out for a concert in a church. And of course I am writing this blog when I should be typing Pondicherry.

Also have been reminded of MM Kaye, and told that Shadow of the Moon is a book that must be read. So took a trip on the net to see whether there was an online version and came upon an obit and a sketch of her life - very interesting...

...There, on June 2 1941, Major-General GJ Hamilton, DSO, Queen Victoria's Own Corps of Guides - also known as "Goff", a hero of the northwest frontier - walked through the door. "I thought, that's it; don't ever let anyone tell you there is no such thing as love at first sight." He was married, which did not impede their affair or Kaye's ensuing pregnancy.

Removed to a small hill station, she bore him a daughter, unaided by a drunk medical orderly. It was a five-day labour; a tiger ate a water buffalo under her verandah; the medic shot the tiger; Kaye caught malaria from mosquitoes in the watertank. "It could only happen in India."

She married her divorced hero on Armistice Day 1945; Goff transferred to the British army and Kaye was a good soldier's wife, relocating 27 times.


Have decided to go to Daryaganj tomorrow - see whether I can run it to earth or will just console myself with many others.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Wandering Hermit said...

I think he lifted that one straight of Kiplings "KIM"...

haven't read this one from him but have read Far Pavillions by him...

Long Time since I last came here & so was pleasantly surprised to see updates..
cheers
z

8:51 pm  
Blogger i wonder why said...

That's she to you Zofo - MM was Mary Margaret.

10:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol! I remember talking on the phone till it was, say, 5 - even time - and then back to studies. Some gossip would take us to 5.12 - odd time - 5.15 we will go back to studies... and it went on till night. :-) Support and such for anniv issue - we are in this together.

12:40 pm  
Blogger The Marauder's Map said...

Was pointed to this post by Sheetal. Must add further pressure to read Shadow -- hope you find it in Daryaganj, it's definitely her best. The build-up of the atmosphere leading up to the Mutiny is just amazing. And the romance is beautiful -- subtle and satisfying.

Can also so identify with reading books during exam time -- same 'just a few more pages' thing used to happen with me. I've even got up early in the morning to study and spent the entire time reading an Agatha Christie and suffering terrible guilt pangs.

Somehow, in spite of growing up with attendant 'mature' troubles, I still feel exams are unparalled in their ability to torture -- one reason I don't ever long to return to innocent childhood and all that.

12:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home