Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Food, lovely food

It could only be a tag that would make me blog at this time - I don't have the mindspace to think of any topics on my own - except maybe how much I would like to sleep.
Anyway my 10 favourite foods

1. Apple Pie - made by the mother, or at Gallopin' Gooseberries in its better days. Actually I'll eat it from any place - but no raisins or jam please!

2. Dum ke Sewaiyan - the way ammi used to make them before handing the reins over to Shabana. All my Eids are tied up with memories of this.

3. Khatti Dal - Made by Rehana on her good days and once in a while by Abba. I would eat second and third helpings of rice because it would be so delicious.

4. Jhinge tal ko, chips ke saath (Fried prawns for you non-Hyd'badis) - I don't know what ammi puts in them, but they are most delicious prawns I've ever eaten. I add phaal (mutton pepper fry) to this, cheating I know.

5. Palak paneer - Love it, love it, love it. Dal makhni comes a close second

6. Pancakes - With butter and honey. My calling, someday I shall start a pancake stall.

7. Ok biryani - mutton, bade degh ki, made at shaadis

8. Rice, gunpowder and ghee - Andhra style, I once ate so much the other people at the table were stunned into silence

9. Croissants and Chausson aux Pommes - I'm cheating by putting two together but I'm hoping to get away with it as 'the French connection'. Flaky, flaky croissants, with buttery insides eaten with jam (mouth watering as I type) and of course warm chaussons aux pommes - lovely flaky puff types with apple puree/sauce inside. I want again

10. Ando ki Pyosi - Family recipe, rich, rich, rich with ghee and sugar and khova and eggs, but SO delicious. I also add my mother's qubani ka meetha to this - nobody can make it like her!

And tag - hmmm, Deepa (I remembered), Aishwarya, Sheetal and my neighbour, even Pa...pa.. not paneer but payal for when she remembers she has a blog.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no Guntur idli?

10:56 pm  
Blogger Sabiha said...

See, now I'm missing Biryani. I thought I'd never want it again after the surfeit this time in Hyd. But the need to eat oily, spicy, mutton biryani Shaadi-khana style is back-with a vengeance.

7:59 pm  
Blogger i wonder why said...

Oh God! How could I forget Guntur Idli - from Chutney's. The best, the best. Haven't had decent biryani in eons - shaadi style that is. But don't miss it much. These days I am yearning for chaar and aloo ka talimpu
Nish

4:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the food list. It's making me feel very hungry. Going to grab a bite now. :)

8:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home